Frequently Asked Questions - Tenancy

What do I need to supply before I receive the keys to a rental property?

We will request that you supply references. Typically these will include proof of identity (such as a passport), proof of employment or attendance as a student at a university, and proof that you can pay the rent either in the form of a bank reference or recent bank statements showing that you have sufficient income to justify the rent. You may also be asked to supply a reference from a previous landlord to confirm that you paid the rent and that there were no problems. We may need a day or two to verify your references.

What is the length of the tenancy?

The shortest tenancy is for a holiday let and in many parts of the country, such as central London, these are not allowed unless it is a guest house or similar.

The vast majority of residential tenancies are Assured Shorthold Tenancies (ASTs) and are usually for a minimum of six months and many landlords will not accept less than six months. At JA Management our usual tenancy is for 12 months, although if a property is available for long term rent it is likely, if all has gone well in the first 12 months, that the landlord will offer a further 12 months. This may well continue for year-after-year but gives both landlord and tenant the opportunity to review the arrangement annually.

What happens when I leave?

When you leave it is important that you return the flat to the same condition as when you originally moved in. The key document here is the inventory and you should ensure that the contents are as listed in the inventory, and you clean and return the flat to the condition as described in the inventory. If there is any damage or there are missing items then these will be deducted from your deposit as well as any additional cleaning if it is judged that you have not cleaned the property to the standard described in the inventory.

HawkOwl Web Design